Welcome to La Pluma Elementary where we exist to grow caring, literate, problem-solving students who strive to become the BEST version of themselves! We are a student-centered school with a focus on students reaching their full potential socially, emotionally and academically. Our incredibly talented staff works alongside our supportive parent community to make La Pluma the special place that it is! We educate the whole child - academics, art, music, technology and so much more through engaging instruction, high quality education and development of students with character.
Great things are happening at La Pluma!
- Professional Learning Communities: teachers plan and collaborate on behalf of student success
- AVID Strategies: 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students focus on organizational skills as well as rigorous instructional strategies within reading and writing. They also focus on community building, relationship building, and classroom celebrations.
- Positive Behavior Supports: which reinforce positive behavior practices, systems of support, and character education. We practice our Big 3: Be Safe, Be Respectful, and Be Responsible.
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS): provides academic, social-emotional, and behavioral prevention and intervention support for our students.
- Visual Art: supported by our amazing PTA, our students experience weekly art lessons.
- Technology: 1:1 iPads in grades TK-5th
- Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) Practices in Math: our teachers engage students in inquiry-based problem-solving, and critical thinking opportunities.
- PE: weekly PE instruction from a team of dedicated Physical Education teachers.
- Music: weekly music instruction in all grade levels.
I am honored and excited to begin the 2022-23 school year. La Pluma Elementary is truly a place where great things happen on a daily basis. On behalf of the La Pluma staff, I would like to extend a warm welcome to our new families and a welcome back to those of you that are returning. We are looking forward to a productive and successful year on the La Pluma campus.
Maureen Bixby, M. Ed.